Wednesday 21 August 2013

Why is writing in English important to you? What are some examples of English language writing that you will do in your university education?How will writing in English be important in your future career?



    Personally, I think writing is the primary basis upon which your work, your learning, and your intellect will be judged. Quality of writing affects how your knowledge is conveyed to others and from that others will judge you and your works. In my field of study of real estate, there are a lot of group project reports and most of my examinations are actually based on writing essays. Even if I have studied sufficiently for the examinations, my lack of good writing skills put me at a disadvantage as it may adversely affect how my contents of my essays are organized and therefore how my essays or reports are graded by the lecturers.
    
     I started to look on tips on the internet on how to improve on my writing. I started writing every day on the first few days before examinations by practicing on past year examinations questions or tutorials. I also tried to read extensively on news relating to real estate or any major news when I have the time to do so. However, my writing did not seem to improve by much and I also still got mental block during my writing.    
     
    I think one of few things that I never take account of during my writing practice is to take note of the time I used to write an essays or answer a question. Hence, I tend to panic and have a slight mental block when my time was running short. However, my practice benefited me if the questions in the examinations are similar to those I practiced. 
   
 One of the ways that I can clear my mind block is to clear my mind of all the distractions like the time on the clock or the furious writing of others in the examination hall. When I cannot think of any new ideas, I can just write instead stopping on one question or one topic or worrying what to write.

4 comments:

  1. This is an interesting post, Jun Kang. I like the way you relate writing to you future academic needs. However, as a person with a future career in real estate, you probably will need to write even after studying in the university. What might you be required to write once you've embarked on your career?

    While this short essay is quite fluent there are a few minor language errors. Let's see if you peer group members can identify those.

    Thanks for the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Junkang! I for one totally feel your pain when you say you have a mind block during exams, or when you happen to sit beside a person who writes ridiculously fast, it puts me into panic mode too!

    Regarding what Mr Blackstone has mentioned above,I hope I have identified the errors accurately! If not, I hope our classmates would correct me!

    "... and I also still got mental block during my writing." I feel that this part of the sentence is not really phrased properly. Maybe you could phrase it as so?
    " ... and I still tend to get mental blocks while writing."

    I think you missed out the "the" in the third paragraph, first line! In that sentence, you used "never take account" and "take note of", it was slightly confusing to understand.

    For the last sentence you missed out the "of" after "instead".

    I hope my comments are of help to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jun Kang,

    I share the same problem of not having good writing skills which has put me to much disadvantage in examinations. I could sit there for a good ten minutes figuring out if a sentence is correctly written as it sounds wrong when spoken aloud.

    I suppose the only way to cope with that problem is to improve our standard of English and that is what ES1102 is going to do for us right?

    May I propose the following suggestions:

    1. Even if I have studied sufficiently for the examinations, my lack of good writing skills put me at a disadvantage as it may adversely affect how contents of my essays are organized and therefore how my essays or reports are graded by the lecturers.
    >>> Replace with . Add .

    2. I started to look for tips on the internet how to improve on my writing.
    >>> Replace with

    3. However, my writing did not seem to improve much and I still mental block during my writing.
    >>> Remove . Remove . Replace with .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'm daft. I'm not certain I understand Jeremy's suggested changes. Do you Jun Kang?

      Delete